Pumpkin craft for ANY goal.

 
Today with my kindergarteners I targeted their goals in a brand new way for them. We didn’t play a game, we made pumpkins!  I found the original idea here.
 
To start, I cut orange construction paper in long strips.  My stips are about 12 inches long and an inch and a half wide.  I gave each student ten strips.
 
Using BoardMaker, I printed 1 inch pictures.  My visuals targeted their goals, which had to do with sequencing and wh- questions.  I had questions on some and answers on the others.  I asked the students the questions on the papers; when they answered I gave them the corresponding visuals.  Then they glued them on the orange strips.  I also had steps of common sequences printed out.  I had them separated into groups and gave them to the student.  He put them in order while the other students were answering questions, then he told me “the story” on his turn.  He also glued them to the strip in order.  They really loved it!
 
My hesitation with crafts has always been that the focus would be too much on crafting and not enough on speech/language goals.  Not with this one!
 

When they were all finished gluing their pictures on, I had them stack the strips together again.  I punched holes in each end of each strip.  Then, the students each helped me put a brad “through” the hole.  (We did a LOT of modeling of this word because I know from past sessions that they don’t know it.)
 

When we were finished with the first brad, I had the student flip their strips over so that the pictures were facing the table.  We fanned out the strips and I had the students curl up a strip and hand it to me (so I could keep the holes somewhat in line) one at a time.  I placed another brad in this set of holes and there we had it!  Look how cute they turned out!

wh- question pumpkin

sequencing pumpkin

This was my first attempt at it, so I didn’t add leaves.  I plan to do this same thing with my preschoolers and their artic sounds.  For them I might do a leaf or vine of some sort!

One of the pumpkins (the one I forgot to get a picture of…) came out much more round than the other two.  I have no idea for the life of me why that is, though!  I wish I could figure it out!  I really wish I had gotten a picture, because it really was drastically better.  Oh well!

This was so easy and fun!  I’m definitely going to be doing more crafts with my younger guys!