Despite my best efforts to stall it, summer is ending.
When I walked into my room last Thursday, this is what I found:
Everything was pushed toward the center, so I had some furniture rearranging to do. Once I got everything where it needed to be I found the custodian and asked if he had any tall bookshelves I could have. He said, “Only that metal one. It’s old and a mess!” No problem! I have plenty of plastic “fabric” to cover it! He hauled it upstairs for me and I got to work!
Here are some before pictures. What was the obsession with this hideous “mauve” color that every filing cabinet and shelf in my school is?! YUCK!
|It was filthy!
|Tons of old masking tape on the top of it.
The theme of my room is definitely “Pirates” but the secondary theme is “black and white patterns” with hot pink accents. So, if I can’t work pirates into the decorating, it’s a black and white pattern!
A couple years ago, I found huge packages of plastic fabric at Wal-Mart. It was in the fabric section; it’s actually “Con-Tact” brand. Although, it’s not shelf liner. It was a HUGE piece of continuous fabric – if I had to guess, I’d say it was about 10’x10′. It was folded in a small square and wrapped in clear plastic. The picture on the back of the package showed it could be used as a cover for a BBQ grill. (Err, huh? Who covers their grill in this gorgeous stuff?!) I bought two packs of them – one black and white damask print and one black and white polka dots. (**I tried to find the product online but couldn’t. Sorry!)
I started by measuring the piece for the top. I used a spray adhesive to get it to stick on. I used the end of a binder to smooth everything out.
To do the side, gravity was sort of working against me. So, I starting by taping the piece I had cut at the top. Then I sprayed the adhesive on a small area and smoothed it out.
I just kept spraying small areas as I went down.
When I was done with the fabric, I added ribbon to the outside edge of the inside shelves. I used hot glue to put that on.
I also have a huge filing cabinet behind me when I’m at my desk. I also covered it with the Con-Tact paper and some ribbon. Here’s it is!
Here are all the “go-together” cutouts I got last year and over the summer! I got them all laminated and then had some students who were visiting help me cut the out. I can’t wait to use them!
I’m lucky enough to have a SMART Board. Last year I used a flimsy plastic table cloth on the board around it. I didn’t love how it looked, because I had to piece it together so it looked very “band-aid”. this year I used a full piece of the Con-Tact paper I had – this time polka-dot! Then, I used black and white polka dot border around it. Much better! I wish I had a before picture to show you. It’s a huge improvement!
I had seen on Pinterest that a classroom teacher made buttons for her students to wear when they got 100 on a test. They got to wear them all day and as they passed other teachers in the hallway, they were congratulated on their accomplishment. I think this is the cutest idea so I adapted it for Speech! I bought these buttons at Michael’s. I think they were like $2.
Then, I printed the words “I got 100% in Speech today” & “Ask me how I did in Speech today” on bright, fun backgrounds. Six of each saying because there were 12 buttons in the package. They are polka dot and diagonal stripes: yellow, orange, purple, green, blue, and pink.
I cut them out with my new circle cutter! (I bought this one and LOVE it!You can choose whatever size you want.) The buttons required a 2.25″ circle, so that’s what these are. If you’d like to print them for yourself, here they are!
I’ve decided to use some of my empty wall space to make a Word Wall. Again – it’s black, white, and hot pink. Here’s the stuff all cut out:
Over the summer, I found two great posters at the Dollar Tree: synonyms and antonyms. I hung them on the chalk board which is behind me as I’m sitting at the table doing therapy. On the chalk board is also: a poster I made with a treasure map, my behavior clip chart, some describing and pronoun anchor charts, my rating scale for /r/ students (on a scale of 1-5), and a funny /r/ poster I made using various things I found online. Here’s how I set it up!
There was some space above my SMART Board so I wanted to add something. I chose to make a banner illustrating the steps of articulation therapy. It has a treasure map, “X marks the spot” theme. Get the elements of it here to make your own!
We are only allowed to cover our door with a certain amount (small amount!) or paper due to fire codes. I saw this idea from “The Buckeye Speech Path” and decided to make my own version.
You can grab the letters for yourself in this download! The bottom part of the poster with the SLPs’ names on it says, “Arrrrgh happy to have you on board.”
Here is a bulletin board of some personal pictures. I found some cute pirate fabric, that also happened to be pink and black, at Wal-Mart. I used that as the background on a cork board that I had and used pink & black argyle duct tape as the border. Above it, I printed out my chalkboard style poster with a quote from Oscar Wilde that I really like. I put my polka dot border around it and it’s done! You can grab that poster here!
I hope you’ve enjoyed looking at my therapy room! Please share any pictures of how you use any of the freebies in this post. You can use the hashtag #SLPirates on instagram, too! Or tag me; my Instagram used name is @speechlanguagepirates